September 1, 2010

Josh’s 1st Day of Kindergarten

No matter how much I wanted to freeze Josh in time, I knew this day was coming and I was going to have to find a way to release a little control and let my baby go to “the big school”. I tried to Band-Aid the situation by deciding to keep him at Cross Timbers School (that provides school from 6-weeks to 1st grade); however, at the last minute Tim and I decided we were being silly and needed to let Josh go to Pamela Hodson Elementary. Part of this transition was actually pretty easy for us. Since Josh has been in either a daycare or private preschool since he was 10-weeks old, we were used to him being gone throughout the day. What was I not used to? THE BUS and the MASSIVE AMOUNT OF OLDER KIDS! Shew.

The Bus ...
The bus was difficult because I just do not trust many people to transport my children, so I had to step back and accept that he was old enough to handle getting on and off the bus. Once I put his name, address, and my cell phone number in his pocket and in his backpack and quizzed him 15,000 times on where he lived and what his phone number was – I felt a little better.

All the kids ...
So we walk in the first day to 500 kids sitting in the cafeteria and they were ALL talking. It was crazy. Then the principal walked over did a little clap, and all the kids followed in unison and were … wait for it, wait for it … silent. Wow! Talk about impressed – she is like the yoda of discipline and control. From this point forward, I knew he was going to be okay.

All-in-all, Josh was a champ! He handled the bus like a pro and felt like one of the big kids. He LOVES his new school! He thinks the playground is great, loves picking out his lunch, and loves riding the bus.

Also, I changed my hours at work and now work 8-3 and I am able to get Josh off the bus. Yea!!! I am so excited to spend this extra time with my son and Josh thinks it is pretty cool that I am his “after-care”.





No comments: